I am a professor of information security and computer networks at Worms University of Applied Sciences (also part of the Centre for Technology Transfer and Telecommunications) and also affiliated with Fraunhofer FKIE (Bonn) and Cleopa (near Berlin). I received my PhD in 2013 from the University of Hagen. Aged 17, I started writing books (sold ~60,000 printed+electronic copies so far and counted 30,000 free downloads of my older editions). A list of my ~100 publications can be found here. There is also a list of selected talks.
My research primarily involves network information hiding (network covert channels and network steganography). However, I also work on building automation/smart building security, human aspects of information security, and information security terminology / taxonomy.
Some of my key publications are on information hiding taxonomy/patterns , creativity evaluation in infosec , information hiding methodology , traffic normalization/wardens [4, 5] and covert channel optimization [6, 7].
I am a member of several steering committees, initiatives, program and organizing committees (cf. details). I am (or was) lecturing and supervising at Augsburg University of Applied Sciences, Bonn University and Hagen University. A list of my projects, both funded and spare-time software projects, is also available.
In addition to computer science, I am interested in university history, campus novels and long-distance running.
Find (information about) me here: Twitter, Google Scholar and ResearchGate.
Contact: steffen (at) wendzel (dot) de (PGP pub key: FD701BD1).
Recent News (Selection):
- I wrote some piece about the smart home security update problematic (in German), which is now covered in several newspapers, such as Märkische Allgemeine, Hannoversche Allgemeine, Lübecker Nachrichten, and Göttinger Tageblatt, cf. here.
- Last week, I did a video interview for our upcoming CACM article. It will be published in early January, I guess.
- Two new papers have been published:
Steffen Wendzel, Wojciech Mazurczyk, Georg Haas: Steganography for Cyber-physical Systems, Journal of Cyber Security and Mobility (JCSM), Vol. 6(2), pp. 105-126, River Publishers, 2017.
Gabriele Spenger, Jörg Keler, Steffen Wendzel: Enhanced Ant Colony-inspired Parallel Algorithm to Improve Cryptographic PRNGs, Journal of Cyber Security and Mobility (JCSM), Vol. 6(2), pp. 147-170, River Publishers, 2017.
- My review on the book Darkweb cyber threat intelligence mining by Robertson et al. was published in ACM Computing Reviews.
- I presented our work on inter-protocol steganography at this year's IEEE LCN conference in Singapore.
- A short piece on network steganography (in German) was published in PC Welt (online): Steganografie – eine zunehmende Bedrohung.
- Two new papers got accepted at the Journal of Cyber Security and Mobility: (1) Steffen Wendzel, Wojciech Mazurczyk, Georg Haas: Steganography for Cyber-physical Systems, Journal of Cyber Security and Mobility (JCSM); (2) Gabriele Spenger, Jörg Keler, Steffen Wendzel: Enhanced Ant Colony-inspired Parallel Algorithm to Improve Cryptographic PRNGs, Journal of Cyber Security and Mobility (JCSM).
- I will give a talk on IoT security at the GI SECMGT workshop 'Neue' Technologien und 'neue' Bedrohungen? in November.
- A new paper on forensics by Wojciech Mazurczyk, Luca Caviglione and me got accepted at the IEEE Security & Privacy Magazine.
- I wrote a review of the Cambridge Univ. Press book `Darkweb Cyber Threat Intelligence Mining', to appear soon in ACM Computing Reviews.
- The agenda (in German) of the Smart Building Security workshop that I organize under the umbrella of CAST e.V. was published, cf. this link.
- I will give a talk at the Bälz seminar about smart building security at the Technische Hochschule in Cologne tomorrow.
- I am organizing a Smart Building Security workshop (in German) under the umbrella of CAST e.V., cf. this link.
- I will present our work on inter-protocol steganography at 42th IEEE LCN in Singapore in October.
- A new paper on Information Hiding was accepted at Communications of the ACM and will appear in the January 2018 issue.
- Wrote a short piece on smart home security (in German) for PC Welt, cf. this link.
- One paper (`Inter-protocol Steganography for Real-time Services and Its Detection Using Traffic Coloring Approach') was accepted at the 42th IEEE LCN.
- A review that I wrote for ACM Computing Reviews was published in Vol. 58(1), p. 49, 2017.
- Three newspapers and Internet of Business report about stuff I did
- Our book chapter on Security of Smart Buildings got published by Wiley.
- I presented two papers remotely at the IEEE S&P BioSTAR workshop (cf. publications).
- A new interview with me for Fraunhofer myTalent was published today.
- A new paper (open access) on Information Hiding and Science 2.0 was just published today.
- I am now an editorial board member of the Journal of Universal Computer Science (J.UCS), which is open access since 1995.
- I contributed an update to the OpenBSD pscan port that I maintain.
- Apr-05-2017: New article of W. Mazurczyk and me has been accepted at Communications of the ACM