I am a professor for information security and networks at Worms University of Applied Sciences and also affiliated with Fraunhofer FKIE (Bonn) and Cleopa (near Berlin). I received my PhD in 2013 from the University of Hagen. I gave several talks talks and started writing books when I was 17 (sold ~47.000 copies). A list of my ~100 publications can be found here.
My research involves network information hiding (network covert channels and network steganography), building automation/smart building security, human aspects of information security, and information security terminology / taxonomy.
I am a member of several steering committees, initiatives, program and organizing committees (cf. details). I am (or was) lecturing and supervising at Augsburg University of Applied Sciences, Bonn University and Hagen University. A list of my projects, both funded and spare-time software projects, is also available.
In addition to computer science, I am interested in psychology (which I studied for a few semesters), university history, campus novels and long-distance running.
Find (information about) me here: Twitter, Google Scholar, ResearchGate, Mendeley, DBLP, PubZone, SciPort RLP, Academia.edu, SemanticScholar and CCSB.
Contact: steffen (at) wendzel (dot) de (PGP pub key: 0xC58EB736).
Selected Recent News:
- Dec-09-2016: There are some new publications (1,2,3,4) and several new academic activities, incl. a freshly finalized journal special issue.
- Sep-30-2016: I am now a full-professor at Hochschule Worms.
- Jul-21-2016: I am now a guest editor for the IEEE S&P magazine's special issue on Digital Forensics.
- Jul-19-2016: Our book chapter S. Wendzel, J. Tonejc, J. Kaur, A. Kobekova: Cyber Security of Smart Buildings for the book `Security and Privacy in Cyber-Physical Systems: Foundations and Applications', Eds.: H. Song et al., Wiley, is now in press.
- Jun-25-2016: Just signed a new book contract with Springer. The book will be about network security and it is already my sixth book; to appear in Q3-2017.
- May-03-2016: I published an article in Comm. of the ACM: How to increase the security of smart buildings?, Communications of the ACM, Vol. 59(5), pp. 47-49, 2016